Scuba Diving and Snorkeling in Taiwan

Scuba Diving and Snorkeling in Taiwan

Scuba diving information in Taiwan

Taiwan remains a yet undiscovered gem in Asia's crown of dive locations. The sites are pristine and the water is clear and relatively warm. Prime locations for diving are scattered throughout the islands. Kenting National Park is the best diving area in the Taiwan Island, located at its southern tip. There are extensive coral reefs thriving with life, like large hawksbill turtles, blue-spotted sting-rays, huge lobsters, and reef fish. There are also caves and swim-throughs to explore. Visibility is good, averaging 12 meters. Orchid Island is famous for its coral reefs, which attract vast schools of fish. Hawksbill and Green turtles, barracudas, groupers, jacks and tuna are often seen. Whale sharks and various other shark species can also be spotted. Orchid also has excellent wall diving, drop-offs, drift dives, a swim-through and a beautiful wreck of a Korean freighter. The visibility is usually an exceptional 30 to over 40 meters year round. Green Island has well-developed fringing coral reefs and diverse marine life. Green and Orchid Islands are both home to the endangered Coconut crab. Green Island is home to the world’s largest coral, a 16m high by 31m wide coral bummie shaped like a large bell. It is estimated to be 1,200 years old. From January to March every year, schools of hammerhead sharks are found off the southern tip of Green Island. Diving in Penghu has strong currents and is therefore best suited for experienced divers. These currents often bring in the bigger pelagic fish. Penghu Islands are also a breeding ground for green turtles. Scuba diving in Taiwan is still in its infancy. Even relatively developed areas like Kenting reveal new locations with regularity. Water temperature varies between 22° and 28° C.

Geography and climate

While the political status of Taiwan is a somewhat controversial and sensitive issue, from a traveller's point of view, Taiwan operates as a separate country. Taiwan is an island nation officially known as and governed by the Republic of China or ROC. The island of Taiwan forms over 99% of its current territory, with Penghu, Kinmen, Matsu and other minor islands forming the remaining 1%. Neighboring states include the People's Republic of China (PRC), Japan and the Philippines. Lowland Taiwan has a marine tropical climate during the summer, with sweltering, humid weather, above 30°C from June to September. In the winter the weather is influenced by the nearby continent, and in the northern areas the temperature can go as low as 8°C at night.

Entry requirements

To enter Taiwan, a passport valid for at least six months is required by nationals of most countries. Visas for Taiwan are not required by nationals of Australia, UK, USA, European Union and Canada. For more informations, please contact your travel agent or the Taiwan/ROC Embassy or Consulate in your home country.

Health and safety

Vaccination are required for hepatitis A, tetanus, diphtheria, typhoid and Japanese B encephalitis. For more informations, please consult your doctor before traveling.

Time zone



Most payphones work with telephone cards which are available at all convenience stores. Roaming agreements exist with international mobile phone companies. Internet cafes are plentiful and cheap, with free access in libraries of major towns.

Power and Electricity

110V/60HZ USA plug type.

Scuba Diving locations in Taiwan

Which are the best scuba diving locations in Taiwan? Below, you will find a list of all locations of Taiwan, organized by regions, in which you can dive and snorkel.


Scuba diving locations and photos from each location in Taiwan

Which locations in Taiwan have underwater photos? Below, you will find the list of locations from Taiwan and for each location a list of underwater photos.

Marine Species and photos of each species in Taiwan

Which marine species can I observe in Taiwan? Below, you will find the list of marine species and the photos for each species.

Underwater Photographers and photos from each photographer with photos taken in Taiwan

Which photographers have taken underwater photos in Taiwan? Below, you will find the list of underwater photographers and their photos in Taiwan.

Scuba Diving centers in Taiwan

Which scuba diving centers can I dive with in Taiwan? Below, you can see the list of scuba diving centers in Taiwan. Click on “more info” to find out more about each scuba diving center.

Liveaboards in Taiwan

Which liveaboard can I dive with in Taiwan? Below, you can see the list of liveaboard in Taiwan. Click on “more info” to find out more about each liveaboard.

There are no liveaboard available

Accommodation in Taiwan

Which accommodation can I rest after my dive in Taiwan? Below, you can see the list of accommodation in Taiwan. Click on “more info” to find out more about each accommodation.

There are no accommodation available